In dnd backgrounds we have so many types. But they actually were categorized into various types but mainly there are two types such as official 5e backgrounds and dnd backgrounds homebrew.
If you would like to use any of your favorites then you just blindly follow this official site cause it will be providing all types of background so let’s get started with how a story has beginning section.
DnD 5E Backgrounds List
Now it’s time to declare all aspects about the dnd 5e backgrounds list. Actually, in the below mentioned 5e backgrounds chart we have mentioned all types of official backgrounds in dnd 5e along with their i) Name, ii) Source, iii) Skills, iv), Languages, v) Tools.
|Acolyte||PHB||127||Insight (WIS), Religion (INT)||Any x2||None|
|Anthropologist||ToA||191||Insight (WIS), Religion (INT)||Any x2||None|
|Archaeologist||ToA||192||History (INT), Survival (WIS)||Any x1||Choose 1: cartographer's tools, navigator's tools|
|Azorius Functionary||GGR||Insight (WIS), Intimidation (CHA)||Any x2||None|
|Black Fist Double Agent||CoS (AL)||2||Deception (CHA), Insight (WIS)||None||Disguise kit, and choose 1: artisan's tools x1, gaming set x1|
|Boros Legionnaire||GGR||Athletics (STR), Intimidation (CHA)||Choose 1: Celestial, Draconic, Goblin, Minotaur||None|
|Caravan Specialist||EE (AL)||2||Animal handling (WIS), Survival (WIS)||Any x1||Vehicles (land)|
|Charlatan||PHB||128||Deception (CHA), Sleight of Hand (DEX)||None||Disguise kit, forgery kit|
|City Watch||SCAG||145||Athletics (STR), Insight (WIS)||Any x2||None|
|Clan Crafter||SCAG||145||History (INT), Insight (WIS)||Any x1||Artisan's tools x1|
|Cloistered Scholar||SCAG||146||History (INT), and choose 1: Arcana (INT), Nature (INT), Religion (INT)||Any x2||None|
|Cormanthor Refugee||OotA (AL)||5||Nature (INT), Survival (WIS)||Elvish||Artisan's tools x1|
|Courtier||SCAG||146||Insight (WIS), Persuasion (CHA)||Any x2||None|
|Criminal||PHB||129||Deception (CHA), Stealth (DEX)||None||Gaming set x1, thieves' tools|
|Dissenter||PS:A||11||Special (See page)||Special (See page)||Special (See page)|
|Dimir Operative||GGR||Deception (CHA), Stealth (DEX)||Any x1||None|
|Dragon Casualty||CoS (AL)||3||Intimidation (CHA), Survival (WIS)||Draconic||Special (see page)|
|Earthspur Miner||EE (AL)||3||Athletics (STR), Survival (WIS)||Dwarvish, Undercommon||None|
|Entertainer||PHB||130||Acrobatics (DEX), Performance (CHA)||None||Disguise kit, musical instrument x1|
|Faction Agent||SCAG||147||Insight (WIS), and choose 1: special (see page)||Any x2||None|
|Far Traveler||SCAG||148||Insight (WIS), Perception (WIS)||Any x1||Choose 1: musical instrument x1, gaming set x1|
|Folk Hero||PHB||131||Animal Handling (WIS), Survival (WIS)||None||Artisan's tools x1, vehicles (land)|
|Gate Urchin||OotA (AL)||6||Deception (CHA), Sleight of Hand (DEX)||None||Musical instrument x1, thieves' tools|
|Gladiator||PHB||130||Acrobatics (DEX), performance (CHA)||None||Disguise kit, unusual weapon x1|
|Golgari Agent||GGR||130||Nature (INT), Survival (WIS)||Choose 1: Elvish, Giant, Kraul||None|
|Gruul Anarch||GGR||Animal Handling (WIS), Athletics (STR)||Choose 1: Draconic, Giant,Goblin , Sylvan||None|
|Guild Merchant||PHB||132||Insight (WIS), persuasion (CHA)||Any x1||Navigator's tools|
|Guild Artisan||PHB||132||Insight (WIS), Persuasion (CHA)||Any x1||Artisan's tools x1|
|Harborfolk||EE (AL)||4||Athletics (STR), Sleight of Hand (DEX)||None||Gaming set x1, vehicles (water)|
|Haunted One||CoS||209||Choose 2: Arcana (INT), Investigation (INT), Religion (INT), Survival (WIS)||Exotic x1||None|
|Hermit||PHB||134||Medicine (WIS), Religion (INT)||Any x1||Herbalism kit|
|Hillsfar Merchant||OotA (AL)||7||Insight (WIS), Persuasion (CHA)||None||Vehicles (land), vehicles (water)|
|Hillsfar Smuggler||OotA (AL)||8||Perception (WIS), Stealth (DEX)||Any x1||Forgery kit|
|House Agent||WGE||Investigation (INT), Persuasion (CHA)||None||Special (see page)|
|Inheritor||SCAG||150||Survival (WIS), and choose 1: Arcana (INT), History (INT), Religion (INT)||None||Gaming set x1, musical instrument x1|
|Initiate||PS:A||8||Athletics (STR), Intimidation (CHA)||None||Gaming set x1, vehicles (land)|
|Inquisitor||PS:In||12||Investigation (INT), Religion (INT)||None||Artisan's tools x1, thieves' tools|
|Iron Route Bandit||CoS (AL)||5||Animal Handling (WIS), Stealth (DEX)||None||Gaming set x1, vehicles (land)|
|Izzet Engineer||GGR||Arcana (INT), lnvestigation (INT)||Choose 1: Draconic,Goblin , Vedalken||Artisan's tools x1|
|Knight||PHB||135||History (INT), persuasion (CHA)||Any x1||Gaming set x1|
|Knight of the Order||SCAG||151||Persuasion (CHA), and choose 1: special (see page)||Any x1||Choose 1: gaming set x1, musical instrument x1|
|Mercenary Veteran||SCAG||152||Athletics (STR), Persuasion (CHA)||None||Gaming set x1, vehicles (land)|
|Mulmaster Aristocrat||EE (AL)||5||Deception (CHA), Performance (CHA)||None||Artisan's tools x1, musical instrument x1|
|Noble||PHB||135||History (INT), Persuasion (CHA)||Any x1||Gaming set x1|
|Orzhov Representative||GGR||Intimidation (CHA), Religion (INT)||Any x2||None|
|Outlander||PHB||136||Athletics (STR), Survival (WIS)||Any x1||Musical instrument x1|
|Phlan Insurgent||CoS (AL)||6||Stealth (DEX), Survival (WIS)||None||Artisan's tools x1, vehicles (land)|
|Pirate||PHB||139||Athletics (STR), perception (WIS)||None||Navigator's tools, vehicles (water)|
|Phlan Refugee||EE (AL)||6||Athletics (STR), Insight (WIS)||Any x1||Artisan's tools x1|
|Rakdos Cultist||GGR||Acrobatics (DEX), Performance (CHA)||Choose 1: Abyssal, Giant||Musical instrument x1|
|Sage||PHB||137||Arcana (INT), History (INT)||Any x2||None|
|Sailor||PHB||139||Athletics (STR), Perception (WIS)||None||Navigator's tools, vehicles (water)|
|Secret Identity||OotA (AL)||9||Deception (CHA), Stealth (DEX)||None||Disguise kit, forgery kit|
|Selesnya Initiate||GGR||Nature (INT), Persuasion (CHA)||Choose 1: Elvish, Loxodon, Sylvan||Choose 1: artisan's tools x1, musical instrument x1|
|Shade Fanatic||OotA (AL)||10||Deception (CHA), Intimidation (CHA)||Netherese||Forgery kit|
|Simic Scientist||GGR||Arcana (INT), Medicine (WIS)||Any x2||None|
|Soldier||PHB||140||Athletics (STR), Intimidation (CHA)||None||Gaming set x1, vehicles (land)|
|Stojanow Prisoner||CoS (AL)||8||Deception (CHA), Perception (WIS)||None||Gaming set x1, thieves' tools|
|Ticklebelly Nomad||CoS (AL)||9||Animal handling (WIS), Nature (INT)||Giant||Herbalism kit|
|Trade Sheriff||OotA (AL)||11||Investigation (INT), Persuasion (CHA)||Elvish||Thieves' tools|
|Urban Bounty Hunter||SCAG||153||Choose 2: Deception (CHA), Insight (WIS), Persuasion (CHA), Stealth (DEX)||None||Choose 2: gaming set x1, musical instrument x1, thieves' tools|
|Urchin||PHB||141||Sleight of Hand (DEX), Stealth (DEX)||None||Disguise kit, thieves' tools|
|Uthgardt Tribe Member||SCAG||153||Athletics (STR), Survival (WIS)||Any x1||Choose 1: artisan's tools x1, musical instrument x1|
|Vizier||PS:A||10||History (INT), Religion (INT)||None||Artisan's tools x1, musical instrument x1|
|Waterdhavian Noble||SCAG||154||History (INT), Persuasion (CHA)||Any x1||Choose 1: gaming set x1, musical instrument x1|
In the above table we have listed an “AL” – Marked sources, that means the background refers to content was not released in that specific source listed.
But do not worry we have given full access to that background in this blog so just click on that and get access to them. Rather they were created and also introduced in by the adventurers league. But still they’re legal backgrounds and you might wanna be wish to check them with your Dungeon Master/DM before you’re going to use any of them.
You can also observe in source section that they’re starts with “PS”. That means, they’re the part of the “Plane Shift” series and of course it isn’t inherently allowed. So, as usual, you must need to check them with your DM before you’re gonna use them.
Every Story Has A Beginning
In dungeons and dragons role playing game we can create many d&d backstory’s and each and every story has a beginning. For your character you can select any type of dnd background. So, that character’s 5e background actually reveals all about your character such as i) where you’ve come from ii) how you’ve become an adventurer iii) also what is your place in the world…etc
For your character you can also chose a fighter and your fighter might either be a courageous knight or a grizzled soldier.
Your wizard could’ve been a sage or else an artisan. Also you’ve a rogue and that rogue might have been gotten by like a guild thief or like the commanded audiences like a jester. Actually, the story which you would like to tell is depends on the various d&d backgrounds which you chose and those provides you with the important story cues which is all about your character’s identity.
After selection or before selection of your dnd 5e backgrounds, you need to ask most popular and important questions and they are mentioned below.
- What changed?
- Why did you stop from doing whatever your d&d background describes and also start adventuring?
- To purchase your starting gear you need money! but from where did you get that money?
Suppose if you’ve a wealthy background you have the below questions.
- Why don’t you have more money instead of having enough money?
- How could you learn the skills of your class?
- What sets you apart from the ordinary peoples those who share your background?
Actually, all of the sample 5e background list in this chapter that we have provided both the concrete benefits (such as features, proficiencies and also the languages) and the roleplaying suggestions.
Procedure To Customize A Background
As per many players dnd 5e background generator is the best tool to get customized our favorite backgrounds 5e. Now our guidance is about that, so check them now.
- To customize your favorite backgrounds in dnd 5e, you might want to tweak some of the features of your favorite background that’s why its far better to fits your character or else the campaign settings.
- Basically, for creating/customizing of your favorite background, you have a chance to replace one feature by any other one and also chose two skills, chose the total of two tool proficiencies or the languages from any sample backgrounds.
- From your background features you can either use the equipment package or you can spend coins on the gear like described in the 5th chapter. (Suppose, if you do spend the coins and then you can not take equipment package suggestion for your class too)
- The final aspect is about customize, you need to chose two personality traits, one ideal, one bond, and also one flaw.
- But, if you can not find a feature which is matching to your desired dnd backgrounds 5e and also work with your DM to create one.
Based on your selected backgrounds 5e, a background would contain suggested personal characteristics. You can pick the characteristics, roll dies for randomly determining them, or else use the suggestions like an inspiration for the characteristics of your personal/own creation.
Each and every official d&d 5e backgrounds will provide a package of starting equipment. If you don’t wanna receive the starting equipment from your background then you need to use the optional rule from chapter 5 for spending coins on gear.
In two skills, each and every background in dnd 5e will give you a character proficiency. Of course, most of the backgrounds give you a character proficiency in an addition with one or more tools.
Suppose, if a character would gain the same proficiency from any of the two different sources and then he or she can chose a different proficiency of the same kind (either skill or tool) instead.
Some of the dnd backgrounds 5e also will allow some characters to learn some of the additional languages beyond those which are given by race.
Three Steps Method To Select DnD 5E Background
We’ve gathered three steps method and this method will help you to chose any of your favorite dnd 5e background, so once check the procedure to be a better warrior in your role playing game.
The three methods are 1) Theme; 2) Mechanics; 3) Background Features…. so let’s go into deep on these methods.
- Most of the time you might’ve observed that, many 5e backgrounds actually have the habit to speak with a specified environment.
- But some backgrounds in dnd like the urchin or criminal have habit to speak with the urban setting usually.
- Most of the time, the outlander clearly mean to be out of the wilderness.
- Even some other legal backgrounds such as Acolytes, sages, and guild artisans do have habit to speak with those whoever cloistered away in the temples, libraries and even the workshops too.
We mentioned some of the common themes for most famous backgrounds. You need to follow the below mentioned points while you chose the theme for your favorite background.
Academic: Acolyte, Anthropologist, Archaeologist, Sage
Shady Past: Criminal, Charlatan, Pirate, Spy
Martial/Military: Soldier, City Watch, Knight
Situational: Noble, Outlander, dnd backgrounds Urchin, Far Traveler, Uthgardt Tribe Member
Vocational: Guild Artisan, Entertainer, Sailor
So make sure your d&d 5e backgrounds are listed below or not. If listed follow the specified theme or else simply follow the above steps.
- You can observe in above dnd backgrounds list that most of the backgrounds has two skills, tool sets and also particular languages for your chosen character race or class whichever you chose a different one to replace it.
- All kinds of 5e races as per you’ve chosen would provide set of benefits or a limited choice.
- Most of the player’s does not know only few knows that the classes do provide a different way for selecting and receiving the skills and also the tool proficiencies too.
- Here, we have some duplicate backgrounds proficiencies and they are the only time, which all types of skills and also the tool proficiencies for opening up as the characters options.
3. Background Features:
- Every background in dnd has their own personal features.
- Every feature do offer a small in the game’s benefit.
- For getting interacted with the NPC’s, it mainly requires a player.
- With these features the character gets more opportunities for an adventure and also for the role-playing game.
FAQ’s Of DnD Backgrounds
1Q: How to make a D&D Backstory?
A: There are five simple steps to create your own backstory in d&d role playing game.
- First of all you need to ground your character in your Campaign setting.
- In second step you must Imbue Your Character with an Intense Desire.
- Then you have to Dig Deep into the Source of Their Strengths
- Step Four is to Bedevil Your Character with Conflict.
- In final step you do Sprinkle in the Normal and Mundane.
2Q: What Does It Mean By Ideal In D&D?
A: Basically, ideals are the belief system which drives a character. These are able to include ideas like Generosity or Greed, Respect or Might, or Tradition or Freedom. Also these ideals helps to define the character’s alignment, which always defines how other PCs and NPCs does view the character.